Sunday, November 23, 2008

Twilight......and more than we bargained for...

So, the weekend finally came and went. It was one many of my friends and I had been waiting for. Twilight was in the theatre. A group of about 20 of us girlfriends decided to have a fun Saturday afternoon at the movie and then eating afterward.

First I must tell you that I had heard about this Twilight book forever and ever and tried not to read it, first of all because I don't have time and second of all it's hard enough for me to find time to read the Ensign or BOM. But I was talked into it. I started reading it and was going to stop...I felt like I was a little teenager, it was weird and slow going, but people kept telling me it got better.....well it did and I ended up reading all four books in 6 weeks!

Anyway, back to the present. I have taken on some of my husband's annoying traits, such as analyzing way to much into movies. So I didn't go to the movie expecting a lot but I expected some of the scenes to be a bit better than they were. First, I did not like Edward, I thought he was not cute and that he just acted weird, I didn't picture him being so odd in the book. He also walked weird, I know I know that sounds funny, but he did, there was just one scene that made me giggle....just thinking about it made me giggle right now.

The rest of the casting was ok...I actually thought that Rosalie would have been prettier....but everyone else was good, especially Charlie and Alice. For anyone who hadn't read the book, I don't quite know how they followed it, it jumped around a lot and then would explain everything really fast and then there were scenes that they changed that I was disappointed with. I am still laughing at how Edward all of a sudden says, "You have to see what I look like in the sunlight" and then just grabs her and runs...it was so awkward and poorly done.

Ok, I will quit criticizing, because I am probably driving some of you fans nuts with my own interpretations, but I really did think they could have done better, and I hope that they do better with the next ones.

Lastly, I did enjoy seeing it come to life and it was an entertaining movie despite my little quirks I found.......I do have to say that HSM3 was much more worth the wait....but that's just me...gotta see it, it was awesome!

Ok, so now that I am done describing the goods and bads of the movie, what happened next will blow your mind! All of us girls walked out of the theatre starting to gab about the movie, the likes and dislikes and headed down to the food court. We found a big table that could seat all of us and we each took turns going for different yummy foods. Just when we were starting to eat, we heard some loud bangs and wondered what it was, then there was silence for a second and then the rumbling of feet and a wave of people running toward where we were sitting. It was like a scene out of a movie. I thought for a second that some dinosaur was going to come jumping out and chase us. But within that second of me trying to process what was going on, I realized that the banging noise had been gun shots. The people running toward us had the look of terror as they were trying to scramble to some safe place.

My friend, Janeece, jumped up and said "get down", we both ran over and hid behind a counter at first and then Janeece saw that there was a door leading outside and she ran for it...I saw the rest of my group of people underneath our table and I crawled over to them and joined them as we huddled close and pulled all the chairs in around our table. At this point, we had no idea if this "shooter" was randomly shooting or if it was just a few shots and he took off. We stayed under the table until police came through to gather us up and evacuate the building. We found everyone and made sure everyone was ok and that we were all headed out to our cars. The only person we couldn't find was Janeece who had run outside. She was superwoman, she was outta there. She went out onto a balcony and followed other people who climbed down the wall of the building and she ran all the way across the parking lot and street to Target. Luckily her husband was in the area and came and picked her up.

I'm not making fun of you Janeece, I am glad you are safe...but as I was telling Chris about Super Janeece we started laughing about how she did an awesome job at saving herself and mastering climbing down a wall and we joked about the Seinfeld episode where George was at a child's birthday party where there was a fire and he pushed old people and kids out of the way and saved himself......of course she didn't push people out of the way or anything but it was funny at how we were all together in a group and she had made it clear across the parking lot and street and we were still huddled under a table....after I had found out that she had gotten all the way over there, I was wishing that she was "Edward" with his superfast power and could have threw me on her back and taken me with her! Love ya Janeece!!

Well then since they evacuated everyone at the same time, gridlock.........we did not get out of the parking lot for 2 hours! I made it home 2 1/2 hours later, crazy! We all made it home safe and sound and a little more leary about malls!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Oh my gosh-I bet that was so scarey. Im glad that you and all of your friends are ok. So I was wondering- who fired the shots and did anyone get hurt or killed in the shooting? It does really make a person a little leary about going to malls or other places with alot of people.

Anonymous said...

Dude, survival mode just kicked in and I was OUTTA THERE. I seriously don't remember much up until I was standing out on the ledge!!

I'm just glad we're all okay!

Shannon said...

I will never forget that! That was really scary and I think I'll be watching my movies downtown :)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one freaked out by the whole thing!

Mj said...

Hey Melissa! It's been way too long since I've checked your blog! Funny thing is, I just changed my blog background to the exact same one you have, good taste! :-) The mall event sounds crazy! Did anyone get hurt? Did they ever find out what happened? As for Twilight, I totally agree with you. I thought it was rather corny myself, and yes Edward did walk funny! I know the exact scene you're talking about. The only person that really fit the description in my mind was Alice. At least it was fun to watch, I'll be going to see the second one for sure!